Epsilon-Polylysine (EPL), also known as ε-polylysine, stands as a vital natural preservative in the food industry. This slightly bitter, hygroscopic powder dissolves readily in water and exhibits slight solubility in ethanol. Comprised of a straight-chain polymer of L-lysine, its potency remains unaffected by pH variations and sustains stability even at high temperatures (120 ºC for 20 min), ensuring consistent performance.
CAS Number: 28211-04-3
Chemical Formula: (C6H12N2O•HCl)n
Synonyms: (S)-Poly(imino(2-amino-1-oxo-1,6-hexanediyl)), E-Polylysine, ε –Polylysine, Poly(E-lysine)
Appearance: Light yellow powder
Assay: Not less than 95%
Moisture: Not more than 5.0%
Total Heavy metals: Not more than 20 ppm
Lead [Pb]: Not more than 3 ppm
Arsenic [As2O3]: Not more than 1 ppm
Total Plate Count: Not more than 100cfu/gram
- Profoundly inhibits bacteria, yeasts, and molds, especially targeting Gram-negative bacteria resistant to other agents.
- Offers high safety, solubility, and stability, preserving taste while exhibiting antibacterial properties in neutral or slightly acidic conditions.
- Exhibits stability against heat, enabling control of heat-resistant bacteria and certain noncontractile siphovirus strains.
- Acts as a diet therapy for obesity by curtailing fat absorption in the small intestine via inhibition of pancreatic lipase activities.
- Finds utility in cosmetics, disinfectants, and food machinery cleaning agents.
- ε-Polylysine effectively suppresses bacterial, yeast, and mold growth, especially Gram-negative bacteria, unlike other agents.
- As a reliable preservative, ε-PL ensures high safety, water solubility, stability in high temperatures, wide applicability, and taste neutrality, exhibiting antibacterial properties in neutral or mildly acidic conditions.
- Its stability at high temperatures inhibits heat-resistant bacillus and certain noncontractile siphovirus forms post-heat treatment.
- By suppressing pancreatic lipase activities, ε-Polylysine aids in preventing small intestine fat absorption, potentially beneficial in treating obesity.
- Beyond food, it finds applications in cosmetics and serves as a disinfectant or cleaner for food machinery and hutch maintenance, showcasing versatile uses.